The Business Education Partnership (BEP) – a OneMacon initiative – is a success story with chapters that continue to prove the #OneMaconWay. BEP Co-Chair Blake Sullivan reports on the success of the community-wide fundraising effort to raise $2.189 million to place The Leader in Me in all 28 public elementary and middle schools in the Bibb County School District (BCSD). After setting that goal, we exceeded it!
We now have 21 elementary, middle, and high schools engaged in The Leader in Me Process. Beginning in August 2018, Southwest High School will be the first high school in the BCSD to engage in the leadership skills of The Leader in Me, using these skills to help become college, career, and workforce ready.
2017 was an amazing year for the Business Education Partnership (BEP). In March we set out to raise $2.189 million to place The Leader in Me in all 28 public elementary and middle schools in the Bibb County School District (BCSD). On November 2, 2017 we held a community celebration at Vineville Academy with Sean Covey and an energetic crowd to celebrate the completion of our fundraising goal. Not only did we raise the goal, we exceeded it!
So, now we are raising the funds to incorporate The Leader in Me in all six of our high schools. We are going to teach our high school students the leadership skills of The Leader in Me and how to use these skills to help become college, career, and workforce-ready.
- The fundraising campaign, led by BEP and OneMacon, successfully funded the implementation of The Leader in Me leadership process in 4 new elementary schools (8 total have adopted The Leader in Me).
- The BCSD agreed to provide ongoing support for The Leader in Me after implementation for all public schools in the District.
- With the matching gift from the FranklinCovey Foundation, the total raised or pledged as of December 28, 2017 is $2,410,886.50.
2018 Mid-Year Highlights and Goals
- For the 2018/2019 school year we have added 12 elementary and middle schools. This will bring us to a total of 20 elementary and middle schools implementing The Leader in Me in the District.
Because of the overwhelming community support Southwest High School is adopting The Leader in Me for this academic school year.
- We will work to raise the remaining $560,000 (approximate) to implement the Leader in Me in all 6 high schools in the BCSD.
The adoption of The Leader in Me would not happen if not for the leadership and support provided by Dr. Curtis Jones – BCSD Superintendent, and the BCSD Board. They are tireless and trusted partners in the implementation of The Leader in Me. The principals, teachers, and staff of our schools have worked diligently to learn and teach The Leader in Me skills. The Leader in Me coupled with the great work being done in the District are raising test scores, increasing graduation rates, and teaching leadership to the students of Macon Bibb.
The enabling support by our funders coupled with the work of the BCSD is improving the lives of our children, giving them hope, and teaching the tools to help them be the next generation of leaders in Macon-Bibb County. Thank you all!
Business Education Partnership Co-chair