Strategic Planning: the OneMaconWay!
Since its founding, OneMacon created a steering committee made up of more than 40 partners representing the entire Macon-Bibb community. Based on a target business analysis and marketing review, as well as public-driven input, the committee developed a community and economic development strategy along with implementation guidelines, which can be read here.
This strategy is built on three pillars: Place, Jobs, and Schools, with the understanding that a community with quality schools and abundant job opportunities creates a vibrant, desirable place to live and work.
With the strength of partnership and culture of collaboration, OneMacon’s strategic plan has been put into daily action. With recommendations that seek to strengthen our schools, employment opportunities and quality of life, unification is being achieved through three essential attributes: effective implementation, collaborative leadership, and engaged residents.
- Significantly elevate graduation rates from our community’s public schools.
- Prepare secondary and post-secondary students for careers in target business sectors.
- Implement best practice programs that provide student choices and new learning models.
- Engage parents to best support student learning. Elevate adult educational attainment levels.
- Market the community’s assets to support new business development.
- Develop sites and infrastructure supporting job creation in target business sectors.
- Retain existing businesses and enable their growth.
- Support efforts to improve the entrepreneurial climate and small business support system.
- Develop a vibrant downtown that serves as a place to live, work, visit, and do business.
- Beautify our most visible places – our corridors, neighborhoods, and activity centers.
- Develop amenities and recreational spaces that are attractive to all ages.
- Increase resident and business engagement in community improvement initiatives.